Total Records Found : 217 | Showing Page 209 of 217
Author Informationfrom the Sudo Erasmus Lipid Letter
InformationFlax oil is one of the richest sources of valuable omega-3 fatty acids. At 50-60% omega-3s, flax oil contains almost twice as much of these essential nutrients as do fish oils. Because they are commonly lacking in our foods, fresh flax oil improves health by providing our bodies with adequate amounts of the essential omega-3s.
Omega-3 deficiencies contribute to many conditions and, indeed, may be the ultimate cause of many wide-spread diseases.
What Can Flax Oil Do?
Research and clinical experience show that omega-3s have beneficial effects in:
1. Heart Disease. Omega-3s lower high blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels by as much as 25% and 65%, respectively. Dr. Max Gerson uses fresh flax oil for its cholesterol-lowering effect in his New York clinic.
Omega-3s decrease the probability of a blood clot blocking an artery in the brain (stroke), heart (heart attack), lungs (pulmonary embolism), or other organ (peripheral vascular disease). Omega-3s also lower high blood pressure.
2. Cancers. Omega-3s dissolve tumors. Dr. Johanna Budwig in Germany has documented over 1,000 cases of successful cancer treatment using fresh flax oil, along with additional nutritional support. She has used the oil successfully in cancer therapy for over 30 years. Dr. Gerson also uses fresh flax oil for this purpose in his clinic.
More recent research shows that omega-3s kill human cancer cells in tissue culture without harming the normal cells present. Breast, lung and prostate cancer cell lines were studied.
Additional studies show that omega-3s inhibit tumor formation (fewer tumors, smaller tumors, less metastasis, longer survival time).
3. Diabetes. One form of this disease originates from a deficiency of omega-3s and an excess of hard fats, aggravated by a concurrent lack of vitamins and minerals in the diet.
Omega-3s lower the insulin requirement of diabetics. Close monitoring of insulin levels is required during flax oil treatment.
4. Arthritis. Omega-3s have been found to be effective in the treatment and prevention of arthritis. Both fish oils and flax oil have been used effectively.
More recently, research using combinations of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids showed that 60% of rheumatoid arthritics were able to completely discontinue their non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and another 20% were able to reduce their dosage of NSAIDs by half.
5. Asthma. Flax oil may noticeably relieve asthma within a few days of beginning use.
6. Premenstrual Syndrome. Many cases of PMS are completely relieved within one month of beginning use of fresh flax oil. Vitamins and minerals also contribute.
7. Allergies. Omega-3s help to decrease allergic response. Since the body must be re-built, more time is needed before allergies are alleviated. Total nutritional support is required.
8. Inflammatory Tissue Conditions. Included here are the diseases that end in -itis, which include meningitis bursitis, tendinitis, tonsillitis, gastritis, ileitis, colitis, arteritis, phlebitis, prostatitis, nephritis, splenitis, hepatitis, pancreatitis, otitis, etc., as well as psoriasis and lupus. These inflammatory conditions may be eased by use of omega-3s.
9. Water Retention. Flax oil helps the kidneys excrete sodium and water. Water retention (edema) accompanies swollen ankles, some forms of overweight, PMS, and late stages of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
10. Skin Conditions. Flax oil is famous for its ability to make skin smooth, soft and velvety. It also alleviates those skin conditions which originate from lack of omega-3s in the diet, which include some forms of eczema and psoriasis.
11. Vitality. One of the most noticeable signs of improved health from the use of flax oil is increased vitality, more energy. Athletes notice that their fatigued muscles recover from exercise more quickly, and omega-3s increase stamina.
12.Calmness Under Stress. Many people find this to be the most profound effect of using fresh flax oil, Under stress, Omega-3 fatty acids appear to slow down our bodies’ production of toxic biochemicals.
I3.Other Conditions. Omega-3s are necessary for visual function (retina), adrenal function (stress), and sperm formation. Flax oil can be helpful in multiple sclerosis (when essential fatty acid consumption is high, MS is rare); cystic fibrosis (omega-3-containing oils help loosen viscous secretions and relieve breathing difficulties); some cases of sterility and miscarriage; some glandular malfunctions; some behavioral problems (schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder): addictions (to drugs or alcohol); and deviant behaviors.
Omega-3s are recommended for everybody because these essential nutrients are commonly lacking in North American diets. In order for the omega-3 fatty acids in flax oil to unfold their vital functions, other essential nutrients (proteins, vitamins and minerals) must also be present in the diet in adequate amounts.
How Is Flax Oil Made?
Light, oxygen (air) and high temperature destroy omega-3s very rapidly. The oil must be pressed at low temperatures, in the absence of light and oxygen. Flax oil must be completely protected from light and air between the time it is locked in the seed and the time that is protected in opaque containers. Only oil made with this required care is worth using to enhance health. Once opened, flax oil should be consumed within 3 to 6 weeks.
How To Use Flax Oil?
Flax oil can be substituted for other, less nutritionally valuable oils in salad dressings, mayonnaises, shakes, etc. It can be mixed with olive oil or butter to enhance their nutritional value. It can be mixed with skim milk protein (baking cheese, cottage cheese, low-fat yogurt. kefir), then sweetened with fruit, maple syrup or honey to provide a delicious, nutritious breakfast or dessert. The oil and skim protein mixture can also be used in main dishes by adding vegetables, greens and spices. The flax oil-protein mixture is a versatile base for any kind of meal.
Allergic to dairy? Use tofu with onions/garlic instead of milk protein.
How Much Flax Oil?
Dr. Budwig recommends up to 8 tablespoons of fresh flax oil daily in her cancer therapy. The Gerson clinic used 2 tablespoons daily for the first 4 weeks of therapy, and a maintenance dose of I tablespoon per day from then on. Dr. Donald Rudin uses 2 to 5 tablespoons per day, depending on the patient’s individual condition and needs.
Is Flax Oil For Everyone?
Almost. Occasionally, someone experiences allergic skin rash when using the oil. That person must detoxify their immune system or obtain their essential omega-3s from one of the lesser sources: fresh pumpkin seed, soybean, walnut or fish oil. Nausea can result from exceeding the liver’s capacity for fats and oils. People with impaired liver function need to build their capacity gradually, starting with one teaspoon.
Fresh Flax Oil Recipes
Veg-Omega-317’ fresh organic flax oil, besides its nutritionally unique composition of essential fatty acids, has a pleasing, light, nutty flavor. It can replace less nutritious oils in all of the ways that oils are used, except for frying, frying destroys the healthful properties of this precious oil. When using Veg-Omega-3~ fresh organic flax oil in hot foods (soups, cooked or steamed vegetables, etc.) add the oil last, just before (or after) serving. Probably the best way to use Veg-Omega-3~ fresh organic flax oil is in cold dishes, the most nutritionally balanced and versatile of which is Dr. Budwig’s Oil-Protein Mixture.
Basic Flax Oil-Protein Mixture
• 3 tbsp (40 grams) Veg-Omega-3m fresh organic flax oil.
• 7 tbsp (IOU grams) cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese, yogurt, kefir, or soft tofu for those allergic to dairy products.
• Mix thoroughly. This oil-protein mixture can be eaten as is, or converted into any number of nutritious and tasty dishes.
Some suggestions for Veg-Omega-3 Fresh Organic Flax Oil
For a delicious and strength-giving breakfast, add to the basic mixture:
• a touch of maple syrup or honey
• freshly ground nuts or seeds (almonds, filberts, flax, walnuts, sunflower, pumpkin, or sesame seeds) or even granola
• fruit juice or cut fresh fruit in season (strawberry, raspberry, apple, pear, peach, apricot, plum, blueberry, huckleberry, etc.)
For a nourishing and health-building main dish for lunch or supper, add to
the basic mixture:
• finely shredded green onions and parsley
• grated carrots, green and red peppers, cut tomatoes, and/or any other fresh vegetables
• herbs and seasonings of your choice: basil, tarragon, thyme, oregano, cumin, coriander, marjoram, curry, dill, etc.
More uses of Veg-Omega-3 Fresh Organic Flax Oil
Add to the basic mixture: vinegar, soy sauce or tamari, your choice of spices and herbs (garlic, mustard, hot spices, basil, cumin, dill, thyme, coriander, oregano, parsley, onion, green onion, etc.) and blend. Makes a creamy flavorful, and very nutritious dressing.
This recipe is foolproof if followed exactly (don’t try to double itl).
• Set aside Vi cup Veg-Omega-3~ fresh organic flax oil and Vi cup oil of your choice (safflower, sunflower, olive)
• Break an egg into the blender
• Add 2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
• A dash of mustard (dry or prepared)
• A dash of cayenne or ground white pepper
• and ¼ cup of oil
• Cover blender and begin to blend at LOW speed until it begins to thicken. Immediately add the remaining 3/4 cup oil in a heavy stream while continuing to blend at low speed. This makes 1½ cups.
Simply add fruits, nuts, and sweeteners in varying proportions to your taste. Simple and delicious.
Veg-Omega-3m fresh organic flax oil can greatly improve the nutritional value of butter — which is very low in essential fatty acids (EFAs) and contains cholesterol — by mixing butter and fresh organic flax oil in 1:1 proportions. This softens the butter, adds a delicious flavor, and supplies cholesterol- lowering EFAS to the butter-fat. remember to refrigerate it. Clarified butter can also be used.
Olive Oil Lovers:
Mix olive oil and Veg-Omega-3~ fresh organic flax oil 1:1. This will retain the olive oil’s flavor and greatly enhance its nutritional value.
• On steamed vegetables or baked potatoes instead of melted butter.
• In shakes, smoothies, and protein shakes.
EFAS increase metabolic rate. Experience has shown that many overweight people actually lose weight by adding fresh EFA-rich flax oil to their diet.